Let me say. this first–I LOVE my profession. Just like any profession, we have our own pet peeves that make us want to pull our hair out and bang our head against the brick wall. So what are our top 10 pet peeves?
TOP 10 TEACHER PET PEEVES
- No Name on Paper–Please…please, just write your stinkin’ name at the top of the page.
- Repeating Myself...for the hundredth time–When I spent 10 minutes explaining the direction, and a hand immediately raises and asks “what am I supposed to do?” my eyes slightly bulge and I have to count to ten in my head.
- Losing Planning Time–Yes, let’s take my 30 minute planning period that I am supposed to grade papers, create a differentiated lesson, answer emails and phone calls, create materials, and set up lesson preps and just get rid of it for something else that is a waste of time.
- Talking during the lesson–Maybe you’d know what to do if you stopped talking to your friend….
- Long meetings–A short meeting? What are those? They do not exist.
- Misbehaving during an Observation–We’ve all been there.
- Extra Credit Requests–Sure, extra credit is sometimes needed if a massive group of students don’t do well on a test (when in reality we should re-evaluate our teaching methods and re-teach the lesson), and sometimes one student does bomb a test. I’m not talking about that. We know that kid. The one who never studies. The one who has an excuse for every homework assignment or project. No…no you may not get extra credit.
- Will This Be on the Test?–Yes.
- Seeing the Classroom as their Bedroom–I’ll never forget my second year of teaching. I had a fabulous group of kiddos. Yet, I will never forget a student who constantly lost his papers. Finally, I asked him where he was placing them. “I put them right here on the floor! Someone must have stolen my papers!” No kiddo. No. That’s when I explained my room was not his bedroom. It was an eye-opening and ground breaking moment for him.
- Do We Have To?–What do you think the answer will be? Yes. Then Yes.
But at the end of the day, we wouldn’t trade our job for anything else!